At Torch LMS, most of our new clients found us while looking for a new LMS - frustrated with their previous LMS’s lack of features and design. For you though, this might be the first time you’re buying an LMS, and a comparison among LMS’s won’t be very helpful yet. This micro-guide is for you so you can easily understand what a good LMS could do for your business.
Kris Spisak of BusinesstoCommunity recently wrote about what a good LMS should do. As a starting point, I’ll summarize her guidelines for you and add in a few more key points from my experience:
WHAT A GOOD LMS CAN DO:
- Report on everything you need it to, including custom fields so that you can prove the value of training across your organization
- Give you live 1 to 1 support so that you get what you need when you need it - not force you into a ticketing system before giving you a random support person to work with
- Automate almost all of what you need to do for ongoing training
- Be fully customizable in everything from setup to visualization
- Enhance and automate many aspects of corporate learning for everything from in-person training (instructor led training) to fully automated training
- Organize teaching materials (audio, video, text, etc.), so they can be delivered as often as needed for new hires, continuing education, and professional development.
- Coordinate schedules in an easy way, so availability is no longer an obstacle
- Track training performance and progress as an administrator/instructor, and as a user
- Drastically reduce the cost of training, certifications, compliance and regulations management (mainly because of in-person costs vs. on-demand or broadcast through the LMS)
- Help you prove that you meet every last detail of compliance regulations
- Gives you scalability in that you can start small but expand it as broadly as you need to
- Provide social interaction even though you’re moving away from typical classroom interaction
- Move you off of expensive on-site hardware and into the cloud
I hope this helps in your search! Comment below if you have any other suggestions for an LMS. If you’d like to see how Torch LMS does all of this and a few more impressive tricks, you can watch a personalized automated demo right now by clicking the “watch demo” button below.